Tuesday, September 6, 2016

My Yiddishe Mom or Mamme (various Artists)

Hello Grafted in Readers,

Today is September 6, Tuesday, in my corner of blog land. Our granddaughter begins her first day of kindergarten today! On Wednesday, my wife and I celebrate 20 years of marriage! We had special occasions over the weekend to do this, and glad we have been married two decades!

I posted on Facebook the question, What do Will Howard, Belle Baker, Sophie Tucker, Tom Jones, Connie Francis, Itzhak Pearlman and Neil Sedaka share in common?

Tucker and Baker were among the first two Vaudeville singers to record "My Niddishe Mom or Mamme" in the 1920s. Neil Sedaka recorded a version in English and in Yiddishe during the mid 1960s, and Tom Jones has performed it on occasion throughout his performance career. There are said to be versions in Spanish and also a Jazz version. Itzhak Pearlman has a solo violin version backed by the Israel Philharmonic orchestra. The composer is said to be Jack Yellen. I heard the version recorded by Pearlman and it is nice, respectful, middle eastern in musical arrangement, and was surprised to find this song has had a long history by several artists.

During my last post, I mentioned reading, The Turner House, by Angela Flournoy. A simple summation of this novel is that it's about the workings within the Turner family, mother, dad, thirteen siblings. There are ups, downs, joys, and sorrows throughout this novel set in Detroit from post WWII to perhaps 2010. I recommend it highly! One quote which I'll paraphrase, A woman without options is a woman waiting for a man to ruin her.

I wish you Kevod Yeheveh this September day and always. Thanks for stopping by and feel free to say hello!
Mellow Roc
David Russell

No comments: