Wednesday, May 29, 2024

Black Water (Doobie Brothers, Acoustic)

Hello Grafted In Readers,

Today is Wednesday, May 29, 2024 in my corner of blogland.

We have a few things to converse about today.


Grafted In Here To Stay

I have decided to keep the "cabin" open as it were for you to drop in anytime. Just wipe your shoes off on the figurative, virtual matt provided at the entry.

I will also be moving to Substack during the next few months. That will be an extension of what you have seen here if visiting a while. I enjoy our current arrangement, and can tell some of you do as well.


Writing Life

I just came off the writing life race track for a while, and am resuming creating short fiction. The racetrack in question is about book promotion and marketing. I am on the verge of working with someone to find comfortable, affordable ways to promote my title(s) more effectively. 

My recent created "Menacing Dropoff" story will be in the summer issue of

"New Authors Journal"

available in print from Amazon.com around middle June.

Here is a small snippet of this 1,750 word story.

Summary:  A family man is faced with a choice to go with the flow, or stand up for a cause to which he is impassioned. Here you go:


Menacing Dropoff

David C. Russell

 

The phrase “just another manic Monday” perfectly described my day. One hand held an Arby’s beef sandwich, and my other navigated the streets as I drove to the city council meeting in Utica, Michigan. The phrase “busy life, happy wife” has occasionally been experienced in my house—but not today.

“Can’t you find a half hour to spend with your sons? Vaughn and Daren will be grown and gone before you know it,” Carolyn said while on the phone.

“I spent Saturday afternoon with the kids,” I fired back. “The water rate issue has become my passion because it affects others, not only me or my family.”

“Be a martyr then, Blake. Go fight for your almighty cause,” she said, tone bordering vehement rage.

City Council

The room in city hall where the Utica City Council met was two-thirds full. The news media had generated interest in the proposed 7% water rate increase. Sources noted the rate increase over the past decade was roughly $75.00 a month based on the daily usage by a family of four in one home. This translated to an estimated $900.00 annually on water. Granted, people use water for bathing, cooking, cleaning, toileting, yard beautification, and washing clothing and motor vehicles.

The climax of the discussion arrived when an elderly gentleman approached the podium using a motorized wheelchair.

He began, “I’ve lived here all my life—82 years. My monthly rent is about one grand. I feed and support myself, the wife, and my grandson on a $2,000 monthly budget.”

This is a work of fiction...

This story came about because a friend, over breakfast, suggested I create something discussing increased water rates. This is one national issue. So, voila!

I'll let you know when the journal is available.


One-year Anniversary

My title, "Human Being Human Doing" turned one-year on May 23rd.

I recommend the EBook version if you want to read some short portraits about human beings whose convictions influenced life and history then, and in some cases now.

The mother of Moses protects her son from genocide;

Miriam of Migdal recovers from chronic anxiety;

Nicodemus or in Hebrew, Nakdiman, is challenged to consider his world view;

A fictitious international symposium is held to celebrate the Festival of Pentecost or Shavuot. One of the panelist succumbs to temptation and medical issues that arise;

The final story or portrait is imagined Judgment Day and the celebrative banquet that follows.

Someone told me this little book is big on encouragement, inspiration, and information.

See:  https://www.books2read.com/mlqXG9


A Final Two Paragraphs

On Tuesday and Wednesday, June 11 and 12, 2024, Jewish faith adherents and in a wider perspective, those sympathetic to this form of spirituality, observe the Feast of Pentecost or Shavuot in Hebrew. The festival celebrates G-d giving the Torah at Mt. Sinai, and centuries later, a visitation by the Holy Spirit to many in Israel there to celebrate this festival, too. We also commemorate the continued "giving of Torah" in our lives and to our world in the present.

One custom is to have a piece or two of cheese-cake and read the story of Ruth from the Bible on the first evening.

For more, look up "Shavuot, My Jewish Learning.com".


Post Title

Black Water, by the Doobie Brothers, is an oldie but goodie in my opinion.

You can find a 2020 version of this song performed while in isolation by this group, the Doobie Brothers. Search through the results on You
Tube

after typing, "Youtube song black water doobie brothers" and pressing enter key.

Of course, press enter to skip the advertising that may occur first off.


Until our next visit, may the presence of Adonai be with us always, and order our life plans and activities.

Now, off to have some hot, black coffee!

Thanks for stopping by, and welcome to you if a newcomer!


Mellow Rock

David C. Russell, Author

        


No comments: